Ko, Seung Hwan (고승환, 高承煥)
Applied Nano and Thermal Science (ANTS) Lab
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Seoul National University
1 Gwanak-ro, Gwanak-gu, Seoul 151-742, Korea (R.O.K)
Phone: +82-2- 880-7114, E-mail:email@example.com, Website: http://ants.snu.ac.kr
(Ph.D) University of California, Berkeley, 2006, Department of Mechanical Engineering. (EECS ,BioE minor)
Advisor : Prof. Costas P. Grigoropoulos
Thesis topic : Flexible Electronics Fabrication by Lithography-free Low Temperature Metal Nanoparticle Laser Processing
(M.S.) Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2002, Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering.
(B.S.) Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea, 2000, Department of Mechanical Engineering.
UC Berkeley, CA, USA Visiting Professor (09/2019~08/2020)
Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea Professor (09/2013~present)
Applied Nano and Thermal Science Lab, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
KAIST, Daejeon, Korea Associate & Assistant professor (05/2009~08/2013)
Applied Nano Tech & Science Lab, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
Multifunctional Nanomaterials, KAIST Institute (KI) for the NanoCentury
The Molecular Foundry, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, CA
Primary Researcher for “Laser processing of organic-inorganic hybrid solar cell” project (08/2008 – 04/2009)
nPrint Solutions, CA, USA Co-founder & CTO (01/2008 – 04/2009)
Developing next generation energy and electronics solutions with an innovative low-cost, high-resolution proprietary direct nanoimprinting technology.
University of California, Berkeley, CA Postdoctoral Fellow, ERSO (12/2006 – 04/2009)
University of California, Berkeley, CA Graduate Student Researcher, Laser Thermal Laboratory (10/2002 – 12/2006)
Institute of Advanced Machinery and Design, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea Assistant Researcher (03/2002 – 08/2002)
Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea Computer Aided Thermal Design Lab, Graduate Research Assistant (03/2000 – 02/2002)
• Undergraduate level
– Engineering Mathematics 1 (공학수학1) (Spring 2014, 2015, 2016)
– Applications of MEMS in Mechanical Engineering (마이크로기전시스템의 기계공학응용) (Fall 2013, 2014, 2015)
– Heat Transfer (열전달) (Spring 2015~현재)
• Graduate level
– Introduction to Nanotech Processing (기계나노공정개론, 나노공정입문) (Fall 2013~현재)
– Convective Heat and Mass Transfer (대류열및물질전달) (Fall 2015~현재)
• Short intensive course
– Advanced nano-micro fabrication process, University of Tokyo (Feb 12-15, 2019)
• Undergraduate level
– MAE 311 Heat Transfer (Spring 2011, Spring 2012)
– MAE 370 Understanding of Materials and Manufacturing (Spring 2010, Spring 2011, Spring 2013)
– MAE 400 Capstone Design I & II (Spring 2010, Spring 2012, Fall 2012, Spring 2013)
– ED100 Introduction to System Design (Fall 2009, Fall 2010, Fall 2011)
– HSS190 Freshmen Seminar (Spring 2010)
• Graduate level
– MAE 526 Introduction to Nanotech Processing (Fall 2011, Fall 2012)
– MAE 570 Advanced Manufacturing Process (Summer 2010)
– MAE 800 Introduction to Nanotech Processing (Fall 2009§, 2010§): Developed for graduate students to introduce nanotechnology and nanoscience, §ME Outstanding Instructor Award (2009, 2010)
Honors and Awards:
• 대한기계학회 학술대회 우수논문상, 대한기계학회 마이크로/나노부문 (2020)
• 신양학술상 (학술분야), 서울대학교 (2018)
• Fine Creation Award, Spintech Technology Thesis Award Competition, Taiwan (2017)
• 미래부장관상 (Minister’s Award), Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, NanoKorea (2017)
• Best Paper Award, AMDP 2014, International Conference on Advanced Materials Development & Performance (July 17-20, 2014)
• Best Paper Award, HCI International 2014, 2nd International Conference on Distributed, Ambient and Pervasive Interactions (June 24, 2014)
• 차세대우수학자, 서울대학교 (2013)
• KAIST 40th Anniversary Outstanding Teaching Award, KAIST (Spring 2011)
• Outstanding Instructor Award for “MAE800 Introduction to Nanotech Processing”, Department of Mechanical Engineering (Spring 2011)
• Selected as one of 21 promising young researchers in Korea for 1st Korea•Japan•China Young researchers workshop (한중일 젊은 유망과학자 워크샵), 2010.
• Outstanding Instructor Award for “MAE800 Introduction to Nanotech Processing”, Department of Mechanical Engineering (Spring 2010)
• ASME Best Paper Award, 4th International Conference on Energy Sustainability, American Society of Mechanical Engineer (2011)
• Marquis Who’s Who in America (2010~ present)
• Korean Government Overseas Scholarship (국비유학생), Ministry of education, Korea 2002~2005.
• Harry L. Wollenberg Scholarship, UC Regents, 2003~2005
• Summa Cum Laude, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Yonsei University, 2000
• Global Venture Challenge Semi-finalist, Oak Ridge National Lab, 2008
Journal Editorial Boards:
– Soft Robotics, Associate Editor, Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., USA
– Materials, Sectional Editor-in-chief (Smart Materials section), MDPI, ISSN 1996-1944, Switzerland
– Nanomaterials, Sectional Editor-in-chief (Nanoelectronics, Nanosensors, and Devices section), MDPI, ISSN 2079-4991, Switzerland
-Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. (대한기계학회 논문집)
– International J. Precision Engineering and Manufacturing (IJPEM), 편집이사
– International J. Precision Engineering and Manufacturing – Green Technology (IJPEM-GT), 편집이사
– JMST Advances, 편집이사
• Guest Editor
– Special Issue on “Metal Oxide Nanoparticles and Nanowires: Synthesis, Characterization, and Applications”, Nanomaterials, 2019~21.
– Special Issue on “Window Electrodes for Emerging Thin Film Photovoltaics”, Frontiers in Materials, 2018~2019.
– Special Issue on “Nanomaterials for Renewable and Sustainable Energy”, Nanomaterials, 2017~2018.
– Special Issue on “Micro and Nanoscale Manufacturing and Material Technology for Flexible and Stretchable Devices, Actuators and Sensors”, Microsystem Technology, 2016.
– Special Issue on “Flexible and Stretchable Electronics”, Micromachines, 2016.
– Special Issue on “Energy Materials – Conversion and storage”, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2012.
– Special Issue ICFPE2013, Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, 2014.
• Editorial Board
–Smart Science, Taylor & Francis, ISSN 2308-0477
–Inventions, MDPI AG, ISSN 2411-5134, Switzerland
–Nanomaterials, MDPI, ISSN 2079-4991, Switzerland
• Memberships in Professional Society
– Associate Member of The Korean Academy of Science and Technology (KAST associate member) (한국과학기술한림원 준회원) (Jan 2014~)
– Member of Young Korean Academy of Science and Technology (Y-KAST Alumni member) (한국차세대과학기술한림원 동문회원) (2021~)
– Member of Young Korean Academy of Science and Technology (Y-KAST member) (한국차세대과학기술한림원 회원) (Jan 2017~2020)
– Member of board of directors, The Korean Society of Precision Engineering (한국정밀공학회 이사) (Dec 2015 – Present)
– Member of board of directors, The Korean Society of Manufacturing Technology Engineers (한국생산제조시스템학회 나노마이크로시스템부문 이사) (Mar 2014 – Present)
– Member of board of directors, Korea Society of Thermophysical Properties (KSTP 한국 열물성학회 이사) (Mar 2010 – Present)
– Member of board of directors, Korea Printed Electronics Association (KoPEA 한국 인쇄전자협회) (Aug 2009 – Present)
– Member of board of directors, Korean Association for Particle and Aerosol Research (KAPAR 한국 입자에어로졸학회 재료분과 이사) (Dec 2010 – Present)
– Member of board of directors, Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, Micro & Nano Division (KSME 대한기계학회, 마이크로/나노분과 이사) (Jan 2013 – Present)
– Member of ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), SPIE (International Society for Optics and Photonics), LIA (Laser Institute of America), MRS (Materials Research Society), IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), ACS (American Chemical Society), APS (American Physical Society), KSPE (Korean Society for Precision Engineering), KSLP (Korean Society of Laser Processing)
• Professional Activities
– Program Committee, Manipulation, Automation and Robotics at Small Scales (MARS), France, 2015~현재
– Organizing Committee, Asian Thermophysical Properties Conference (ATPC), 2013
– Organizing Committee, Korea Society of Thermophysical Properties (KSTP) summer workshop, 2011
– Organizing Committee, Korea Society of Thermophysical Properties (KSTP) spring conference, 2011
– Organizing Committee, Korea Society of Thermophysical Properties (KSTP) summer workshop, 2010
– Session Chair, Korean Association for Particle and Aerosol Research (KAPAR) conference, 2010
– Session Chair, KSME micro/nano conference, 2010 – Session Chair, International Conference on Flexible and Printed Electronics (ICFPE), 2009
– Session Chair, 28th International Congress on Applications on Lasers & Electro-Optics (ICALEO), 2009
– Active Reviewer of : Accounts of Chemical Research, ACS Nano, ACS Applied Electronic Materials, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, ACS Materials Letters, ACS Applied Nano Materials, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, Advanced Engineering Materials, Advanced Electronic Materials, Advanced Energy Materials, Advanced Intelligent Systems, Advanced Materials, Advanced Material Technology, Advanced Optical Materials, Advanced Science, Advanced Theory and Simulations, Advanced Functional Materials, Advanced Healthcare Materials, AIP Advance, Angewandte Chemie, Arabian Journal of Chemistry, Applied Materials Today, Applied Physics A, Applied Physics Express, Applied Physics Letters, Applied Science, Applied Surface Science, Carbon, Composite Part B, Cellulose, Composite Science and Technology, Computational Materials Science, Chemical Communications, Chemical Engineering Journal, Chemical Society Review, Chemistry–A European Journal, Chemistry–An Asian Journal, ChemNanoMat, ChemPhysChem, ChemPlusChem, ChemSusChem, Chinese Journal of Chemistry, Chinese Optics Letters, Crystal growth & Design, Electrochima Acta, CrystEngComm, Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, Electrochemistry Communications, Electronic Materials Letters, Energies, Extreme Mechanics Letters, Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, Ionics, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, International Journal of Modern Physics B, International Journal of Photoenergy, International Journal of Energy Research, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, International Journal of the European Ceramic Society, iScience, Journal of Heat & Mass Transfer, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Journal of Applied Physics, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Journal of Heat Transfer, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Journal of Microscopy, JMST Advances, Journal of Nanoengineering and Nanosystems, Journal of Nanomaterials, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, Journal of the Optical Society of Korea, Journal of Physical Chemistry, Journal of Physical Chemistry of Solid, Journal of Physics D:applied physics, Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Journal of Sauid Chemical Society, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, Journal of Solid State Chemistry, Journal of Solid State Science and Technology, Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, JoVE, Laser & Photonics Reviews, Light: Advanced Manufacturing, Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing, Materials Today nano, Materials Horizons, Materials Research Express, Materials & Design, Material Research Bulletin, MRS Communications, Materials Science and Engineering B, Materials Science and Engineering C, Measurement, Metals, Microelectronic Engineering, Microelectronics Journal, Nano, Nanomaterials, Nano Micro Letters, Nano Letters, Nano Today, Nanoscale, Nanoscale Research Letters, Nanotechnology, Nature, Nature Communications, Nature Electronics, Nature Scientific Report, New Journal of Physics, NPJ Flexible Electronics, Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Optics and Laser Technology, Organic Electronics, Optics Letters, Physica Status Solidi A, Physica Status Solidi- RRL, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, Physical Sciences Reviews, PLoS ONE, PNAS, Progress in Material Science, Progress in Polymer Science, Precision Engineering, Rapid Prototyping Journal, RSC Advance, Research on Chemical Intermediates, Results in Physics, Science China Chemistry, Science Robotics, Science and Technology of Advanced Materials, Science of Advanced Materials, Sensors, Sensor and Actuators B, Small, Smart Science, Smart Materials and Structures, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Solid State Electronics, Soft Materials, Soft Robotics, Spectrochimica Acta Part A, Surface Coatings Technology, Surfaces and Interfaces, Thermochimica Acta, Thin Solid Film, Material Research Society
– 청소년과학영재사사 사업 멘토, 한국과학기술한림원, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
– 한국과학기술한림원 준회원비전위원회, 한국과학기술한림원, 2014.3.1~2015.2.2.8.
– KEIT (한국산업기술평가관리원), Advisory Committee (지식경제 기술혁신 평가단 위원) (Oct 2011-present)